The new RAMS from the Broadcasting Research Council of SA are out and the numbers look quite different from what SAARF used to show.
See below highlights:
Metro FM declining
- Metro FM have lost listeners from 4,1m to 3,9m [Jan – Jun] – [Jan – Sep]
- Ukhozi FM remained flat at 7,2m listeners
- Gagasi FM up to 1,4m from 1,3m listeners
- Power FM broke the 100k line growing to 103k from 99k
- Talk 702 declined from 547k to 530k listeners a week
- North West FM is up from 203k to 212k listeners per week
- Izwi Lomzansi is up to 109k from 93k
Interesting Listening patterns
- 64% listened to one station only, Ndebele & Swati are driving this trend at 73% and 70% respectively.
- 76% consume radio on their normal radios, 37% use their cellphones , 26% use vehicle radio , 8% listen via TV and 2% through computers.
- 87% listens from their homes , 33% consumer radio while driving on the road , 11% while at work/school and 6% do so while at restaurants, malls or airports
- 7 Highveld has the highest % of people listening through vehicle radio followed by Talk Radio702
- Rise FM has the highest % of people listening via Computers
- Trufm & Rise FM are leading the pack on people listening through TV
- Bok Radio has high % of people listening in their vehicles